John Panagakos, Principal Broker at The Mortgage Centre (People’s Choice Mortgage Corp.), is an industry veteran with over 20 years experience in mortgage financing.
A noted authority on mortgage and real estate market trends in Toronto, John is recognized for his ability to make sense of the complex web of information surrounding mortgage rate fluctuations and home financing products.
John is one of the most reputable and widely known names in the mortgage industry. He was one of the first in-branch brokers in Canada with RBC. He set the precedent for mortgage specialists and has always fought for the client. In his tenure, John has funded over a Billion dollars in mortgages.
In 1997 and 1998 John was awarded CMHC’s Top Producer Award. Shortly after this career-high achievement, he moved towards the independent broker channel in 1999.
He garnered a great deal of media attention in 2001 with his purchase of his first investment property at 1 King Street West. The opportunity had sentimental value as his father worked in the former Dominion Bank headquarters for 35 years, and in John’s youth he was the Bank’s messenger boy during the summer.
When asked about his investment, John was quoted in the National Post as saying “This is the Wall Street of Canada. Try to buy something like this in New York. This location, with this price, and with this return on your investment. You can’t do it.”
Ten years later, John’s brokerage, The Mortgage Centre (People’s Choice Mortgage Corp.) is thriving with a high-profile client base. His office is an unofficial banking staple at the corner of Pape and Danforth, with RBC and Scotiabank across the street. He has proudly served the Danforth Community, making home ownership possible for restaurant workers, high networth individuals, self employed, and anyone else that walks through his office door.
- Hawkins, Miranda (March 24th, 2001). “Bullish On Condos” New Homes, National Post.
- Goddard, John (October 2nd, 2004). “The view is priceless from site of old bank” Toronto Star
- Metro News (October 7th, 2004). “View At 1 King W. Priceless” Metro
- Carrick, Rob (September 24th, 2006). “Interest-only mortgages best left to high rollers, not real home buyers.” The Globe and Mail
- McLeod, Lori (November 21st, 2007). “Higher home costs fuelling inflation” Report on Business, The Globe and Mail
- Carrick, Rob (November 22nd, 2007). “Feeling the pain” The Globe and Mail
- Carrick, Rob (November 22nd, 2007). “Mortgage seekers are the Main Street collateral damage of credit crunch”. The Globe and Mail
- Leatherdale, Linda (November 25th, 2007). “Guess Who Pays?” Your Money, Toronto Sun
- McLeod, Lori and Carmichael, Kevin (July 10th, 2008). “Ottawa tightens mortgage rules to avoid bubble” Report On Business, The Globe and Mail
- McLeod, Lori (July 11th, 2008). “Federal crackdown could spark housing sales” Report On Business, The Globe and Mail
- McLeod, Lori (July 31st, 2008) “A zero down mortgage by another name?” Report on Business, the Globe and Mail
- Pasternak, James (February 17th, 2010) “Borrow your cash, take your chances” Financial Post
- Pasternak, James (February 17th, 2010) “Leveraged investing: real returns and real risks” Financial Post
- Belford, Terrance (March 30th, 2010) “Brokers gaining consumer trust” Canwest News Service, Vancouver Sun
- Belford, Terrance (March 31st, 2010) “Reverse mortgage a “wonderful windfall” Ottawa Citizen
- Belford, Terrance (March 31st, 2010) “Freedom through reverse mortgages” Financial Post
- Ladurantaye, Steve (July 19th, 2010) “REAL ESTATE NOTE” The Globe and Mail
- Morris, Helen (October 8th, 2010) “Risky type? Try a variable mortgage” National Post, Post Homes
- Levenson, Dana (January 17th, 2011) “Mortgage Guideline Changes” CTV News at 6pm.
- Hayes, Tom (February 8th,2011) “GTA Market is Hot” CTV News at 6pm.
- www.mortgagebrokernews.ca (February 16th, 2011) “Brokers see uptick in house purchases”
- www.mortgagebrokernews.ca (March 1st, 2011) “Guide to broker compensation: if the model fits”